I was accepted into a residency program at The A.V. Club, the influential pop culture source and sister publication to The Onion, There I was allowed me to experiment with pitching and reporting unique Buzzfeed-esque stories on national air guitar contests and “run from the cops” 5K race to appeal to the (unsurprisingly) young and witty readership.
As a Resident, I wrote…
- Listicle: Five Off-the-Wall Summer Races in Chicago (bonus: fictional publication I designed for tablets, featuring this story)
- Listicle: Celebrate World Book and Copyright Day with 5 Gritty Must-Reads for Chicagoans
- Developed and wrote weekly feature-length entertainment articles as well as shorter daily blog posts, primarily for The A.V. Club Chicago branch
- Drove engagement by refocusing on Facebook engagement, monitoring and reporting on the concrete, positive outcomes of the new strategy via Google Analytics
- Provided editorial support, from reporting to editing, for other regional branches
- Supported other local branches in writing, editing, and production—including assistance for the print inclusion in The Onion